Develop a Common Sense School implementation plan. You will be asked to enter the implementation details in the Common Sense School application. The implementation plan should include all criteria outlined in the following steps.
LEARN, DO, REFLECT
Choose two professional learning opportunities for all educators leading digital citizenship instruction that support their learning goals and level up their teaching practice.
- An in-person professional development session (by Common Sense staff, a Common Sense Ambassador, or a school project lead). This counts as two LEARN activities.
- Attend a Common Sense webinar. Viewing two Common Sense webinars counts as two LEARN activities.
- Complete online Digital Citizenship Curriculum Training.
- The Common Sense Education Student Data Privacy mini-course.
Empower your students to be digital citizens with student-instruction using Common Sense Education resources, and take a whole community approach with family engagement.
Student Instruction: Schools have two options to meet student instruction criteria. Schools may teach digital citizenship lessons using a combination of Common Sense Education resources: Common Sense digital citizenship lessons, Digital Passport™ modules, or Digital Compass storylines.
- Teach all students on two grades levels: five digital citizenship lessons; OR
- teach all students on three grade levels: three digital citizenship lessons.
Family Engagement: Schools are asked to share with students' families how they are taking a Common Sense approach to digital citizenship and help families navigate the ups and downs of raising kids in the digital age using Common Sense resources. Complete at least three of the following activities to meet this requirement:
- Share the Common Sense Education Family Media Agreement.
- Share one or more Family Tip(s) that align with lessons taught in your classrooms.
- Share articles and parenting advice from Common Sense Media.
- Host an in-person event for parents, caregivers, and family members (with ready-made slides!).
- Invite families to participate in the Common Sense Tech Balance text program (for Elementary only).
We hope to learn more from you about your experience earning recognition as a Common Sense School. In the application, you will be asked to provide some details on how you feel the process of becoming a Common Sense School has impacted your school community.