Writing a Novel
1 HOOK: Do Now: What are some ways that help you create ideas for writing? Please briefly explain at least 2 of your ideas.
1. Class will begin using a Do Now, which will be used by the teacher to discuss the writing process and how each of us begins/brainstorms before writing.
1. Do Now: using Google Classroom, Students list and explain several ways in which they come up with ideas/brainstorm when writing stories.
2 Direct Instruction: mini lesson on writing process and intro to assignment.
1. Teacher will review/go over the writing process by showing class short video using Ted-Ed.
2. Teacher will introduce and explain the students’ upcoming assignment, which involves students taking part in NaNoWriMo.
1. Students will watch video to help them review the steps involved in the writing process.
2. Students may take notes while the teacher is going over the assignment.
3 Guided Practice: Have students work in pairs to navigate website
1. Teacher will have students go to the NaNoWriMo website, then ask them to work in pairs to navigate the resources available on the site.
1. Students will work in pairs to navigate the resources available within the NaNoWriMo site.
4 Independent Practice: Students will use the website to find prompts to use for their assignment
Teacher will ask students to independently use the website to find prompts for this assignment.
Students will use the tools given on the website to find prompts that they may use for this assignment.
*If students already know what they want to write about, they may continue navigating the different resources on website on their own.
5 Wrap Up: Students will list several writing prompts that they may want to use for their story.
1. Teacher will have students create a document on Google Drive, listing 3-5 writing prompts they may want to use for this assignment.
2. Teacher will have a place on Google Classroom to upload this assignment.
1. Students will create a list of 3-5 prompts on Google Drive, then upload the document on their Google Classroom page.