Students will create a Google Form to gather data about a world problem they pick and how to use the data to educate the general community in their class and grade level are about the world problem.
2 Direct Instruction
Students will research, cite, and address the following questions
Research and Development- Research your chosen world problem. When we talk about research and development, explore the web and find various resources. Look at how various media sources address the world problem, research how various groups address the issue. Your R&D component should include the following information and address the following questions.
What is your world problem?
Is your world problem playing a role or affect you? If not, can or will the problem play a role at some point in your life? Why or why not?
What is the population impact your world problem?
Is your world problem environmental, human, natural, artificial, all?
How are various media outlets (CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, NPR, etc) addressing the problem? Is there a media bias?
How is the United States Government addressing the problem?
Can technology play a role in solving the world problem?
How is your world problem being addressed? Is there prevention and/or action plans in place to address the world problem?
What can we do as people in Piscataquis county to make a positive impact on the world problem?
Is there a hopeful solution to your world problem? Why or why not?
3 Guided Practice
In this assignment, we are going explore, research, educate, and develop answers to some of the world problems haunting us today and tomorrow. You as a student are going to choose one of the many world problems to explore, research, and educate us about. You will be required to educate yourself through research, develop a possible solution to the problem, and use research to educate others about one of the following world problems
1. Pollution in the 5 Gyres - The 5 Gyres also known as the world’s oceans wind currents. There are five Gyres in the world (North & South Atlantic, North & South Pacific, and Indian Ocean). Every time someone pollutes especially with plastic, over time that piece of plastic ends up in the ocean current, causing animals and wildlife to eat and digest plastics. Who wants to eat their salmon, swordfish, and trout with a side of Plastic?
2. World Hunger and Poverty - Currently there are over 842,000,000 malnourished people in the world. The figure amounts to about one out of seven people in the entire world. As the population of the world increases, the problems of world hunger and poverty are not going away.
3. Global Water Scarcity - At the current time of writing this information, there are currently 1 billion people in the world who face scarce resources and water shortages in the developing world. With only 3% of the world’s water supply fresh and available to drink, there is a major world problem needing addressing.
4. Lack of Medical Care - Currently about one billion people with disabilities and life threatening problems face a lack of medical care and resources. This goes beyond having doctors. This includes high medical cost, lack of resources,
5. Other World Problems - There are all kinds of world problems out there worthy of research. The above problems are only a few. If there is a bigger problem more attentive to you (Racism, Civil Wars in Africa, Government Instabilities in the developing world, etc, Deforestation of the RainForest, Industrialization and destruction of ecosystems, Poaching Endangered Animals in Africa & Asia, ), please see me to find a world problem.
4 Independent Practice
Using the information from the R&D (Part 1) and Google Feedback (Part 2), develop a solution (Not saying you need to solve the entire world problem) but develop a solution people could use to begin to think about the world problem and methods to solving the world problem. Your solution can range from an invention designed on Google Sketchup or Blender, a housing design, a website or blog. Any solution is a start. This is an open spectrum idea part.
Taking your research and development, data, and solution, create a presentation addressing all aspects of your world problem. The purpose of this is using technology applications to educate others about the various world problems in modern society.