World Factbook Project
1 Setup & Organization
- Produce a list of countries that they want their students to obtain information about. This list should have at least double the number of countries versus the number of students for each class.
- Assign countries to students. This can be done either by a random draw of the countries, allowing students to draw numbers and choose the country they want, or by any other method the teacher chooses.
- Provide students with detailed instructions on what information they will be search for on their chosen countries. Information to be collected may include: official name, official language, population, ethnic/racial composition, resources, exports, economic facts, etc.
- Share an example page from the class Wikispaces page with the students so that they can see what they are working to create.
- Review the list of countries provided by the teacher.
- Choose a country in the manner set forth by the teacher.
- Review instructions on what information will need to be obtained for their chosen country.
- Review the class Wikispaces page to see what their country's entry into the factboook is to look like.
- Monitor students and provide assistance as students research their countries to collect required information.
- Answer any questions that students may have about information they obtain which may not match other sources.
- Use the tools and sites provided by the teacher to research the country they have chosen to collect the required information.
- Make a record of the sources of all information obtain in the research in order to cite it on the Wikispaces page.
- Work with students who need assistance in editing/creating their pages on Wikispaces.
- Proofread work as students are entering it and helping them to fix errors in spelling, grammar, etc.
- Monitor students as they provide feedback to others to improve their pages and ensure that the feedback is constructive.
- Share link to class Wikispaces page with other teachers throughout the building and ask them to provide feedback for the students as well.
- Build pages for chosen country on the Wikispaces site.
- Proofread all information posted to ensure proper spelling, grammar, etc.
- Upon completion of individual pages, view other students work and provide them with constructive feedback to improve their individual pages.
- Use constructive feedback provided by both students and teachers to improve the pages on the class Wikispaces site.