Working problems backwards - #WithMathICan
I began by introducing the games storyline. I would have the game projected on a smart board, and i would have students first instruct me on what to do, leading into them coming up to the board and completing the level themselves. I would do maybe the first few levels and then have them continue their work independently
- Could we use subtraction to complete this level? Would it be a better way than using addition? Why? Why not?
- Can anyone give me a different way to solve this problem?
2 Whole group practice
Before I had students finish the level I would write levels the equation on the board. For example;
________ + __________ = 10
- What numbers can we add together to equal 10?
- Does anyone have another idea of how we can solve this problem
- What even/odd number can we add together to equal 10
After the first couple of levels, i would have the students discover the equation before heading to the board. Having students work equations backwards is a great way for them to check their work
3 Individual Practice/Small group
Bell ringers - I would begin the class with a quick couple of questions that students would turn in after the morning announcements.
Have word problems that utilize working backwards for example.
- Jack walked from Santa Clara to Palo Alto. It took 1 hour 25 minutes to walk from Santa Clara to Los Altos. Then it took 25 minutes to walk from Los Altos to Palo Alto. He arrived in Palo Alto at 2:45 P.M. At what time did he leave Santa Clara?
Complete the bell ringer and turn it in once you are finished
4 Wrap up
Assess student learning by reviewing the bell ringers. Once students complete the bell ringers choose 3 (1 good 2 with common errors) and project them (hiding the names of the students). Have the students view and reflect on the students work.
- What do I like about this?
- What would I change about this?
- How can we improve this answer
- How could we solve this problem using a different method?
- After viewing other students work, which method is the best for find our answer
Afterwards issue out the students bell ringers again and have them improve their answer and reasoning.