Welcome to the world of audio
introduce students to audio world using two very different quality audios
Some pictures with different brand headphone.
students are encouraged to provide some headphone brands.
Some audio formats.
2 terminology of audio
1. introduce common formats of audio files DSD MP3 FLAC WAV APE ALAC
2. What is Bit Rate, what is Sample Rate? DSD has the highest sample rate, FLAC ALAC has the highest bit rate and not low sample rate
3. What is PCM and DSD recording? PCM record real sound signal horizontally, DSD record real sound vertically but DSD needs more space
DSD is more natural sound you can hear people's cough or even artists' chairs' buzzing sound
What are the most accurate Hi-Fidelity music format?
Answer: DSD & High quality FLAC & ALAC
3 teaching of how music is played
1. present a line chart of PC/CD player/walkman------------>DAC--------------->amplifier---------------->headphone/speaker
2. what is DAC, what is digital player?
why? digital signal to analog signal then amplify
this is called music playing system
1. discussion: When you are listening to music using your phone, where is DAC, amplifier or player?
Revelation: It is possible to make everything small or everything large depending on your level Hi-Fi.
4 Headphones' types
1. Three types of headphone and how they play music?
2. Brand of headphones
Bose, beats and monster
Westone, Shure, Etymotic and Ultimate Ears
Stax and ORPHEUS
What types of headphone is beats or bose?
5 How to buy headphone?
1. introduce parameters of headphones
resistance and sensibility
2. what kind of headphone needs system.
high resistance or low sensibility
3. what will happen if you don't use system to work those hard-stone headphone?
strange sound or no sound!
4. Other function of headphone: sound isolation, sports headphone etc.
Does beats headphones need system?
No they have low resistance and high sensitivity
why those flagship level headphone cost such a lot amount of money?
Very expensive material, long time and large amount of money and human resources to develop those headphone
6 final thought
conclusion, for Hi-Fi fans, be aware to avoid tricks from sellers (ex. Shure KSE1500 newly announced products 2499 dollar and the amplifier is useless)
for music lovers, buy a headphone which worth its price
Now do you know what is high quality music?
Do you know what is good headphone?
example of buying bad headphones