We are all Stars.
1 Warm Up
Students will sing the song “Why Does The Sun Shine?” once slow, and once at the normal speed.
- Have students pre-determine the characteristics of a star they design, have them predetermine the stars, color, luminosity and size. Have s draw out a picture of the star they designed.
- Use Google Cardboard with the app Planetarium VR, have students, find a star in the VR sky that is similar to the star they designed. Then have them record the name of the constellation in which the actual star lies.
3 Extension: Activity
- Give s. a chance to make a more accurate star using construction paper and oil pastels. Tell s. that now they have to organize the stars. Give them 5 minutes to sort out the stars by size or color, whatever way they choose.
- Remind s. of the H.R. diagram, show them how it organizes star temperature, luminosity and size.
- Then let s. put their stars on the board in a H.R. style diagram. First in groups have students organize stars by size, luminosity, temperature in turn. Then have students put their stars in the group H-R diagram.
- Show the H-R diagram of Omega Centauri,