Waves (Investigating Frequencies in a musical instrument- Recorder)
1 Pre-Assess Knowledge
- Create a quiz about waves with some specific questions addressing vocabulary such as amplitude, frequency, wavelength, hertz, decibels, echo, energy transformations, parts of the ear...
- Share Quiz: SOC-13030205
- Run the quiz and analyze the results to see the parts the students are familiar and the ones you need to reinforce the content through the unit
- Join the room number and complete the quiz
- Presentation about the different concepts of the unit
- Some clip videos and questions related to them
Link to presentation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6S998W8JQeLY01jVXBONVEzWDQ
- Students complete some worksheets after the presentation
- Run any of the quizzes available, or the one I made as a way to reinforce/review waves
- Kahoot Title : G8 Sound Revision
- Log into kahoot.it with GAME PIN (whatever you get)
- Share the instructions sheet "Recorder Investigation" (basically it's an investigation where students using recorders and audacity investigation how the distance from the top to the bottom hole affects the frequency of the wave).
- Explain how audacity works (record a wave, show the first peak...). You can link it with music notes (in case you have students interested in music)
- Resources here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B6S998W8JQeLbVBmMjBIc2pvQVU&usp=...
- Download software "Audacity"
- Install in your computer, get a recorder, an alcohol swab and try to record some trials to learn how to use the tool (avoid places with lot of sound around you).
- Follow instructions in the worksheet and record enough data for your investigation.
- Analize your data and write a conclusion and evaluation about it.
- Students submit the lab report through turnitin
- Using the tool mark on turnitin, I create the rubric and some comments link to the rubric to give them feedback
- Students submit the work
- Students peer assess using turnitin (another tool from the platform) and a marking template (link to the rubric)
- Rubric here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6S998W8JQeLM0NKUS1yc2k2b2c