See free resources for parents and educators to teach kids about social justice and racial equality.
To pique students' interest, the teacher will prepare a video clip on the human body (numbers and uniqueness-similar to these: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/03/26/human-body-facts_n_6942332.html AND https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXXKpsZgBFI&safe=active).
The teacher will prepare the Kahoot quiz for students to estimate and think about their bodies ahead of class time (link to mine: https://play.kahoot.it/#/k/4136d81a-095a-42dc-be8e-aa531bea7d62
- Students will watch videos on measurement and human body uniqueness to heighten interest and engage them in the lesson.
- Students will take notes on the information obtained from watching the videos.
- Students will have a class discussion about some interesting facts they learned.
- Students will take a formative assessment to heighten interest and get them thinking about the lesson. Students will log on to Kahoot from a tablet or computer and answer the questions either individually or in collaborative groups.
STUDENT RECORDING SHEET: http://tinyurl.com/qb5r3je
2 Direct Instruction
Teacher will demonstrate and model how to measure accurately. The Whiteboard and Document Camera can be utilized so students can see the centimeter ruler more clearly.
Students will predict and estimate by recording their information on a chart what they think the measurements will be for their various body parts.
3 Guided Practice
Teacher will demonstrate and model how to use the Curious Ruler application. This can be done on the Whiteboard and Document Camera to help check for understanding. The goal is for students to be able to compare and contrast various sizes of items using the Curious Ruler app.
Students will use the Curious Ruler application in their collaborative table groups to practice their measuring skills. They will compare foot lengths to common items to practice their measuring skills.
4 Independent Practice
- Teacher will facilitate the lesson and monitor each group throughout the activity.
- Teacher will observe each student closely to ensure they are using accurate measuring techniques.
- Teachers may need to help with technical difficulties while students are utilizing Excel and Office Mix.
- Helpful hints:
- forearm = foot length
- both feet = lower leg (floor to kneecap)
- length of ear = length of thumb
- arm span = height
- neck = 2x wrist
- length of face = length of hand
- Students will measure various parts of the body (foot length, height, arm-spa, head circumference, etc.) with their partners.
- Students will record information on their charts.
- Students will record information on the whole class Excel spreadsheet on the Intelliboard.
- After students have finished the measurement portion, they will select 1-2 attributes from their chart to use for their presentations. They will use the information from the whole class Excel spreadsheet for their presentations.
- Students must use PowerPoint's Office Mix for their presentations. They will have 3 slides including their data with a table/chart and utilizing the "talking head" feature in the corner as an added feature to enhance the presentation.
STUDENT RECORDING CHART: http://tinyurl.com/q22op9h
Teacher will monitor behavior during the presentations.
Teacher will grade the presentations on a rubric. RUBRIC SAMPLE (using Rubistar)
- Students will share presentations and data with the class.
- Classmates will take notes on the information learned from the presentations.
- Students will write a reflective summary after all the presentations have been given to the class.