The Solar System
- First, ask students if they know what the solar system and Milky Way galaxy is? Then, ask if they can name any of the planets. Ask if they’ve gone star gazing. Answers will vary.
- Tell them, they will learn about all this, plus SO MUCH more.
2 Develop Background
- We will then all gather on the floor in a semi-circle and read “There’s no Place Like Space: All About our Solar System (Cat in the Hat’s Learning Library) by Tish Rabe” to give the students a simple introduction. After reading, tell the students to “fly like a spaceship” back to their desks.
3 Core Instruction
- I will first pull up the PowerPoint. The first objective on the PowerPoint is how the Sun is a star and in the center of our solar system. Next is where planets are in relation to the Sun. Finally, are the slides of what the planets are made of.
- We will read through section 1 and 2 of the PowerPoint.
- After the second section of the PowerPoint(relation of planets to the Sun) we will do our kinesthetic activity.
- KINESTHETIC ACTIVITY-
I will have the students stand in front of their desks. For this activity, I will pick a child to name a simple physical activity (jumping jacks, push-ups, toe touches, burpees, etc.). Then, I will call out a planet name. The children then have to all yell out what number that planet is in relation to the Sun. For example, if I called out Earth, the children will have to yell out three and then do three of the chosen physical activity. We will do this for 2-3 minutes. If students can’t guess what number the planet is guide them along by pulling up the diagram used in the PowerPoint of the planets and the Sun.I will then talk about what the planets are made up of. For example, Mars is rocky and Neptune is gaseous.
We will then read the third and final section of the PowerPoint (makeup of the planets).
- After the completion of this section we will take a video quiz AS A GROUP. Use the SmartBoard to pull up the quiz.
After the video quiz, you may realize you need to go over a thing or two quickly again before giving out the post assessment.
- Tell them if they really liked learning about the planets, there are future jobs they could do that work with the solar system (astronaut, astronomer, etc.)
- Conclude the lecture with if they want to learn more, in their FREE TIME they could go to this website here to play more solar system games.
- Finally tell them we are going to be heading to the computer lab to do an online crossword puzzle. (The SPED students may go with the SPED teacher.) Help them log on and find the puzzle!