The Outsiders - Extending the Theme
1. T will show Ss the 2 min Shmoop video (http://shmoop.com/video/the-outsiders/) that explores the theme of the need to belong through gangs and other groups.
2. T will facilitate a 5 min class brainstorm in which a student recorder will make notes on the SMART Board as students discuss what groups they belong to and why and what groups exist in the school and the community.
2 Direct Instruction
1. T will bridge from the theme discussed in the hook to other themes discussed throughout the study of the novel.
2. T will add to the notes on the SMART board at the direction of the Ss asking them to recall other themes discussed throughout the story.
3 Guided Practice
1. Working in pairs, Ss will use Bitstrips for Schools to create a pictoral representation of one of the themes from the novel.
2. T will print and display Bitsrips
4 Independent Practice (further extension)
1. T will split students into groups of 4 or 5
2. Groups will browse and explore the current open games on Community PlanIt.
3. Using what they already know from the themes in the Outsiders, Ss will identify something in their own community they would like to change or improve and submit their own application for a game on Community PlanIt.
4. T will lead a discussion about what Ss can do to improve the community even if their project is not selected and will close the lesson by helping Ss connect their project ideas to the literary themes in The Outsiders.
5 Wrap Up
1. Using Padlet T will summarize the lesson.
2. Ss will respond on Padlet to the following question: What is one theme from The Outsiders that you can relate to your own life and why?