The Digestive System
1 Hook/Attention Getter
Remind students that at the end of yesterday’s read-aloud, there was a clue about the system they will be learning about today. In the previous read-aloud it said, “We’ll have a lot to chew on.” Ask them to guess what she meant. Then, affirm that they are going to talk about food and how food travels through their bodies. Explain that today we will be learning about one specific system that helps our body work: The digestive system. (10 Min)
- Tell the class that at the end of today’s lesson, we will be adding more to our learned section!
- Tell the class that while watching the movie, think of two things they noticed and would want to share.
- Show the “Magic School Bus Inside the Human Body” video.
- Have the students turn and talk and share their two things.
- Sit in STAR and track me.
- Sit in STAR and track the video.
2 Direct Instruction
Read Core Knowledge Domain 2: The Human Body Anthology.
Ask questions throughout (20 Min)
- (Image 4A-1: Food) What do you see in the picture? Are any of your favorite foods pictured?
- (After reading digestive system) Who remembers what a system is? (a group of organs that work together in the body) The digestive system is the group of organs that work together to help your body turn the food you eat into energy.
- How do your muscles help the digestive system
- (Image 4A-5: Small Intestine) What do you notice in this picture? Turn and talk…
- Sit in STAR and track me.
3 Guided Practice
Ask follow – up questions to check for understanding. (10 Min)
- Literal: How long does it take the body to process, or digest, food? (about two days)
- Inferential: Why do you need food? (It provides the energy you need to stay alive and to grow.)
- Inferential: Are the stomach muscles voluntary or involuntary? (involuntary)
- Evaluative: (Use Image Cards 1–5 to have students sequence the digestive process: mouth, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and large intestine.)
- Sit in STAR and track the speaker.
- Be respectful during turn and talks.
4 Independent Practice
Explain to the class that they will get a chance to explore a really fun, interactive App on their own computers! Place a computer and headphones at every seat, already powered on. Instruct the students to walk back to their seats and open their computers. (10 Min)
- Open your computer and click on the Science Heroes 1: The Digestive System for Kids App.
- Put your headphones on and press start
- Begin exploring the App by following the simple, kid friendly directions!
5 Wrap - Up
After exploring the App, students will have the chance to “show what they know” through pictures and words. Ask students to write what they noticed in the App and what they learned, liked, disliked, and didn’t understand. They can also explain through pictures. (15 Min)
- Write/draw independently to explain what you learned, liked, disliked, and didn’t understand about our new App!