THE BUILDING OF OUR NATION
1 Introduction to America and Revolutionary War
Hook: Show mini movie on website Have Fun with History: The New World European Colonization and Colonial Expansion 1492-1763 under the tab "Colonial America" share links with students so movies can be used as references. students will also be shown "Jamestown Settlement" and "Captain John Smith Jamestown Settler". Videos are short and can all be seen in one class period.
Have students prepare imovie sharing facts about the new world settlement. Use only one class period for this because they will be adding to their movies later on in lessons.
For reference purposes and absent students: visit havefunwithhistory.com and watch the following videos:
"The New World Eurpoean Colonization and "Colonial Expansion 1492-1763.
VIRGNIA COLONIES: JAMESTOWN SETTLEMENT AND CAPTAIN JOHN SMITH
2 GETTING TO KNOW BEAUTIFUL CITY OF COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG
GUIDED PRACTICE AND INDEPENDENT PRACTICE
1. Show videos on website of Colonial Williamsburg and Jamestown, Williamsburg, and Yorktown.
2. Show students slide show that i have created of colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. this slideshow will be from my visit to these cities. my goal is to get students to make connections by seeing that these places still exist, even though some have gone through dramatic changes.
3. students will divide into groups of two or three depending on size of class. each group will be given a topic. then they will research that topic and prepare presentation which will include: imovie detailing their topic, poster board listing key facts of their projects, and their own form of creativity to enhance their projects.
TOPICS FOR GROUPS:
1. SUGAR ACT /STAMP ACT INFORMATION CAN BE OBTAINED ON ABOVE-MENTIONED WEBSITE
2. BOSTON TEA PARTY
3. COLONIAL ATTIRE/HOME DECOR
4. COLONIAL GOVERNEMENT BEFORE SEPARATION
5. CAPTAIN JOHN SMITH
1. Prepare your slideshow on your chosen topic. Provide important dates and key figures.
2. Make your presentation stand out. You will prepare a posterboard with general ideas about your topic.
3. Be creative. Prepare something on your own for your presentation. Dress in character, make a model, share a food. The possibilities are endless.
alternate lesson plans for individual work
Go to website
1. Under the History Topics tab, click on Colonial America
2. First two videos under "The New World is Settled" The New World
and Colonial Expansion
Create an outline of all important topics in each video and briefly describe
Outine and Summary 1 The New World is Settled
Outline and Summary 2 The New World and Colonial Expansion
Go to website below. Play game. Print Results. Repeat once
Test 1 Participation
Test 2 Participation
3. View Slideshow sent to your email: write journal entry on what you see
and what you do not see but know to have existed
You will research the following topics and prepare in methods described:
1. The Sugar Stamp Act
2. Colonial Governement Before Separation;
3. Boston Tea Party
4. Colonial Attire/Home Décor
5. Captain John Smith
Methods of Delivery: Each of five topics must be presented in forms of
delivery: one form may not be used more than twice. (for example, if you
choose slide show, then only two can be on a slideshow)
1. Prezi Presentation
2. Slideshow in Power Point
5. Trifold poster board with all important elements listed
3 THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR
Share videos on the American revolution on the website:
BOSTON TEA PARTY
THE REVOLUTION BEGINS
THE STORY OF OUR INDEPENDENCE
THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE
THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR
FOUNDING OUR NATION
THE CONTINENTAL CONGRESS
2. CLASS DISCUSSION AND READING ALOUD OF THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE: AS A CLASS, WE WILL TAKE PORTIONS OF THE DECLARATION AND DISCUSS EACH PART OF THE WHOLE TO HELP STUDENTS GAIN A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE DOCUMENT
3. SHOW YOUTUBE VIDEO
4. INTRODUCE STUDENTS TO GAME "DO I HAVE THE RIGHT?" ON IPADS. ALLOW PLAY TIME AND MONITOR PROGRESS TO ENSURE STUDENTS ARE WORKING ON ASSIGNED GAME
4 WRAP UP
Students will go to website: have fun with history
1. Under activities they will choose: LIBERTY: THE ROAD TO REVOLUTION GAME
2. In one class period, students will choose Jamestown online adventure under have fun with history. they will create a colonial settlement and compare it to Jamestown Settlement
1. GO TO WEBSITE: havefunwithhistory.com
2. Choose LIBERTY: THE ROAD TO REVOLUTION and take quizzes. Your teacher must see work.
3. Click on JAMESTOWN ONLINE ADVENTURE. Create your own settlement. Your teacher must see your creation to receive full amount of points.