The Basics of Chords
1 Direct Instruction
1) Give students worksheet with the following terms to define while watching the video: root, chord quality, interval -- half step and whole step, triad, major third, perfect fifth, minor third
2) Watch the following video from 1:58 to 15:30 (imbedded in Prezi -- next step)
*****Worksheet found at this link*****
Students should already be familiar with intervals from earlier lessons.
Students will be given the link to the video to watch at home the night before.
2 Guided Practice
1) Use the Prezi to review what we learned in the video (the last slide contains the link to the next step -- virtual piano)
3 Independent Practice
1) Pull up the virtual piano at http://virtualpiano.net/
2) First, have individual students come to the virtual piano and find an interval based on a root that you give them.
3) Then, have individual students come to the virtual piano and build a chord based on a root that you give them.
1. Have students raise their hands to tell you some of the terms they remember from the lesson.
2. Homework: Have them draw a piano (demonstrate by drawing a simple version of a keyboard) and label one major chord and one minor chord on their individually drawn pianos to turn in by the next class.