The Amazing Strategic Search Race
1 Learning & HOWL's Targets
- Assign Strategic Searching Study Guide via Google Classroom
- Review Learning Targets (white board & study guide)
- Review HOWL's Targets (white board & study guide)
- Review important vocabulary
- Access Google Classroom and locate the Searching Study Guide gDoc
- Review Learning and HOWL's Targets and ask questions or request clarification
- Define the important vocabulary in your own words and be prepared to share as we develop a shared definition for each.
2 What is a Search 'Engine?'
- Discuss with students to determine if they know the difference between a search engine and a web browser.
- Use the video "How Search Works w/Matt Cutts" from Google to expose students to how a search engine actually works.
- Poll the class for a couple of search questions they've used recently.
- Pick three students to become search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing). Have each "search engine" enter the keywords from the class search questions and then compare the result pages. Discuss the similarities and differences between them.
3 The Amazing Strategic Search Race
- In this activity, students are required to interact with various Google Searches as they hunt for different search modifiers. Students will also be challenged to go beyond a Google Search and investigate different search tools inside of various Google Apps including Gmail, Calendar, and Drive.
- Students may work individually or with a partner as they "search" for the answers to the various search challenges.
- The Google Form has a Exceeds Option built-in at the end for students to choose. The Exceeds Option challenges students to investigate search modifiers from the homepages for Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Your mission is to learn about the different tips and strategies that Google provides to help you conduct more effective and efficient searches. At each level you will be provided with a question or clue to help you locate the strategic search tip or tool. Only the correct answer will allow you to progress to the next level. You may use your Chromebook to investigate the various search tools mentioned, just be careful to not close this tab or your progress will be lost and you will need start over at Level 1.