1 Pilgrim/Thanksgiving Projects
Engage students in discussing the Thanksgiving holiday and the weather that comes with it. Discuss what weather they typically experience and then the weather the Mayflower and Indians first experienced.
2 DIRECT INSTRUCTION
1. Have students read the information about the winter of 1620-1621 at The Stormfax Weather Almanac.
2. Discuss how the weather, both good and bad, affected the lives of the Pilgrims.
3 INDEPENDENT PRACTICE
Have the students read the attached articles and create a chart/graph and record the temperature and weather conditions in:
- their area over a two week period.
- the weather the Mayflower endured on their voyage
Students tend to appreciate and value the feedback of their peers. After students have completed their charts/graphs, have them upload them to Google Docs for peer reviews.
Students may need support in what to look for when reviewing the work of their peers. You can include:
1. What did you like best about the chart/graph?
2. What questions do you have about the chart/graph?
3. What suggestions would you make to the writer to improve their chart/graph?