Get your students interested in learning about clocks and telling time by reading them a story that incorporates telling time. There are quite a few to chose from. My favorites are I.Q., It's Time and the Grouchy Ladybug.
2 Direct Instruction
If you have a teacher (Judy) clock use it to share with the students the elements of a clock and how the minute and hour hand slowly move. It is helpful to have a clock that has hands that are different colors and hands that slowly move to each hour (For example when it is 10:45 the hour hand is not on the 10 but getting close to the 11). The same thing can be done on the National Library of Virtual Manipulative Website that you can project for the students. You can also have your students follow along on IPad or laptops.
3 Guided Practice
Have your students make their own paper plate clock. If you use two paper plates you can cut up the top one so they can fold down the hour digit and see how many minutes it is. If you teach quarter to and quarter after you can divide the clock up to help with that as well. Give the students flash cards with times to show on the clock. Students can challenge eachother to read their clock and say the right time.
4 Independent Practice
This app is good for independent pratice because it gives introducitons/mini lessons before the activity.
- Play the Clock section has three levels and starts out introducing just telling time by the hour and gets more difficult. The directions are all audio and can be repeated.
- The Clock Challenges section introduces quarter to, quarter after and half past
This app is helpful because it has remedial work and more challenging work for students. Each section has five different levels of difficultly.
- Ferris Wheel: This icon is great for your students that need more intense help. It starts out with just putting the numbers on the clock. It gets more difficult and has you put the minutes on the clock as well.
- Schedule & Train: These icons gives practice with moving the clock hands to the right time and matching digital clock to the analog one.
- Time Quiz: The app also have five levels of quizzes for students to share what they have learned.