Slope Culminating Project
1 Anticipatory Set/Hook
1. Teacher brings up a pre-made Kahoot "quiz" (about 15-20 questions) in the front of the room.
2. Students log on and participate in the "quiz" activity. The teacher asks students to explain any misconceptions throughout the quiz as they present themselves.
1. Students log on and complete the Kahoot "quiz" with teacher.
2. Students engage in teacher-led discussion after any question that needs explanation.
1. Teacher assigns students Popplet with the following directions:
- Students are instructed to represent slope in many forms. Some representation of the directions of slope, how to find slope in multiple ways, and the slope formulas must be included. Additionally, the project should be colorful, include multiple images and/or videos.
- Use this link for an example Popplet:
2. Teacher allows students free reign for the majority of the next two periods of class time to complete. Meanwhile, the teacher circulates the room, answering questions, giving suggestions, clarifying directions and helping with submission.
3. The upcoming closure activity is a short paper-pencil test. Students will be given this test with 20 minutes remaining in the second class period. With any extra time after completing their Popplet, students are instructed to study for their test by making flashcards (using Chegg app).
1. Work for the majority of two periods on popplet culminating project, making sure to include all criteria listed by the teacher.
2. Ask questions as needed. When finished, submit to teacher (by e-mail, or through some other method).
3. With time remaining, make study flashcards using Chegg to prepare for paper-pencil test in Closure.
1. Teacher assigns 10-question test, assessing what students have learned as a result of the slope unit. The test will be a combination of multiple choice and open-ended. (The popplet along with this test combine as the student's unit assessment).
1. Student completes 10-question test.
Key Standards Supported
Expressing Geometric Properties With Equations
|HSG.GPE: Use Coordinates To Prove Simple Geometric Theorems Algebraically|
|HSG.GPE.5||Prove the slope criteria for parallel and perpendicular lines and use them to solve geometric problems (e.g., find the equation of a line parallel or perpendicular to a given line that passes through a given point).|
Interpreting Categorical And Quantitative Data
|HSS.ID: Summarize, Represent, And Interpret Data On Two Categorical And Quantitative Variables|
|HSS.ID.6||Represent data on two quantitative variables on a scatter plot, and describe how the variables are related.|
|Interpret Linear Models|
|HSS.ID.7||Interpret the slope (rate of change) and the intercept (constant term) of a linear model in the context of the data.|