Plant Growth Timelapse Video
See you plants grow before your eyes!
1 HOOK/ATTENTION GETTER:
2 DIRECT INSTRUCTION:
- Using your curriculum materials, plant seeds as described in the manual.
- Allow students to choose the plant growth location in the classroom. Look for variations (by a window, in a cupboard, under a sink, in the dark, etc…).
- Assign each student/group an iPad to use during the unit. It is important that they have their own per group or student and each iPad only record 1 plant.
- Show how to do Time Lapse photography.
- Demo: Take 1 photo from the same spot each day.
- The best way to assure this to put a tape line where the plant is located.
- Also, place a line on the counter to place the iPad in the same spot each day as well.
3 GUIDED PRACTICE:
- Have students document plant growth each day with the Time Lapse app chosen on their assigned iPad.
- The teacher will show how to take pictures and add them to the timeline of the student videos.
- Work together the first couple of days to make sure everyone is doing things correctly.
- Also create a shortcut on the iPad to a Google Sheet that they can record height of the plant each day. This will need to be set up in advance for each student/group to be added to the iPad. Students record the height and that data auto-builds the chart.
4 INDEPENDENT PRACTICE:
- Students/groups will take pictures each day to document their plant growth.
- Students/groups should predict how much growths will occur each week.
- Students/groups will measure growths each day and enter into a Google Sheet (or Excel) to create a growth chart.