Fractions-Fractions Song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnFrOetuUKg&index=2&list=FLRUFy9RR7YGLXs...).
Introduction to what a fraction is and the concepts of numerator and denominator.
2 Direct Instruction
Using ChoiceBoard Creator, AirServer, and Apple TV.
- Use precreated Fraction presentation made with ChoiceBoard Creator.
- It will say a fraction and show three pictures.
- Students need to select the picture that correctly represents the stated fraction.
- Whole Group - everyone will hold up the number of fingers that corresponds to their choice
- Individual - select a student to defend/explain why they made the choice they did
- Reveal the correct answer and provide more explanation if needed.
*Provide scofflolding, modeling, and support as students explain their answers.
3 Guided Practice
Students use Educreations (or ANY other whiteboard app) to draw fractions.
- Write 2/3 on display screen for class to see
- On their individual iPads draw a picture that represents 2/3
- Take a volunteer to explain how their picture represents 2/3
- Repeat with the following fractions: 5/6, 2/5, 3/7, 4/10, 5/8, ect.... (Do more or less practice, how much you think they need with what ever fractions you feel are appropriate for your class.
- EXTENSION: You could have every student record their thinking using Educreations and then just pick one to play their recording.
4 Independent Practice
Popplet, Camera, YouDoodle+, AirDrop and Educreations. Students will use these apps to orgainze and construct a group presentation about fractions all around them.
- Divide the students into groups.
- Using Popplet have the students make an organzing map of their group that states each member name with picture, the fraction they are going to represent, and what material they are going to use to do the representing.
- Each student should arrange their materials into the fraction representation and take a picture of it using their iPad camera.
- Using YouDoodle+ the student should use add any marking neccessary to make their materials show the correct fraction and to write the numerical representation of that fraction on the picture.
- Then using AirDrop all group pictures should be sent to one iPad.
- All pictures should then be added on seperate slides into Educreations.
- Each student should then narrate their slide in Educreations explaining how their picture represents their fraction.
Each group will then use AirServer and the Apple TV to present their narrated Educreation and defend their explanations.