1 The Hook
Show video at the start of class. After the video, lead a discussion about what types of information should be posted on-line.
Essential Question: How do you take control of your digital footprint?
2 Direct Instruction
Show the slides How to Avoid Online Creeps. Lead students on a discussion about making the best decisions with regards to posting and sharing information.
Answer the following questions:
- Who should you "friend" online?
- What types of comments should you post?
- Sometimes you may find inappropriate comments online. What would you consider an inappropriate comment that you should tell an adult about?
3 Independent Practice
Walk around the room and talk to students about protecting themselves online. Answer questions students may have.
Read about how you can build a secure on-line identity and watch the video about protecting yourself online. Answer the following questions:
- If your friend asked you for advice on building a secure online presence, what two tips would you give him/her?
- After watching the video and reviewing the information, what are you going to do differently?
4 Wrap Up
Instruct students to create an infographic promoting National Cyber Security Awareness Month.
Now that you have learned how to be safe online, it is your turn to teach others how to be safe as well. Create an infographic to promote the National Cyber Security Awareness Month.