Just in time for back-to-school: New distance learning resources are available on Wide Open School.
Narrow Down A Big Topic For Research
1 Mini Lesson
- Students have previously had lessons on the Connect and Wonder phases of inquiry.
- Explain: The Internet is too big – too much information
- Incredible shrinking topic – Narrowing down your ideas
- The History of the World
- U.S. History
- U.S. wars
- The Civil War
- Battle of the Civil War
Students will turn and practice accountable talk as to what their topics are.
- Table of Contents as well as a book index can be helpful in selecting subtopics.
- Model filling out part of assessment sample with Illegal Immigration as the topic.
Students will work in groups and highlight the subtopics on the photocopied table of contents and fill in the balance of the assessment. Students will use : Immigration: Opposing Viewpoints published by Greenhaven Press and Immigration by Herbert M. Levine.
3 Independent / Sharing / Assessment
Students will look through a variety of books on a main topic they already selected and narrow their topics using assessment
Students in need of extra support work in pairs.Students will have an opportunity to share their completed assessment.