Multiple-Digit Addition and Subtraction (4th Grade)
Students will discuss previous math talks that dealt with addition and subtraction. They will share with class. Students will watch the video from BrainPop on addition and subtraction. Questions to address: 1) How do I line up digits in my multi-digit addition and subtraction problems? 2) What digits do I begin with to add and subtract multiple-digit numbers? 3) What if a digit being added equals a two-digit number? 4) What if a digit being subtracted is less than the digit from which I am subtracting?
2 Direct Instruction
3 Guided Practice
1) Teacher will model 1 addition problem:
2) Students do math talk with 1 addition problem:
472 + 423 =
3) Teacher will model 1 subtraction problem:
983 - 521 =
4) Students do math talk with 1 subtraction problem:
876 - 521 =
4 Independent Practice
Students will go to 4th grade math.
1) Students will complete the addition activity at http://www.ixl.com/math/grade-4/add-numbers-up-to-millions, which determines and displays student proficiency in multiple-digit addition.
2) Students will complete the subtraction activity at http://www.ixl.com/math/grade-4/subtract-numbers-up-to-millions, which determines and displays student proficiency in multiple-digit subtraction.
As homework, students will create their own quiz to share with/administer to the class.
1) Go to Worksheets.
2) Click on Free Worksheets.
3) Click on 4th Grade Worksheets.
4) Click on Addition in Columns.
5) Generate perameters. Print or save to flash drive. Include the answer key.
6) Return to number 1) and repeat steps for subtraction.
7) Present to class on the following school day.