See free resources for parents and educators to teach kids about social justice and racial equality.
Teachers will model the student steps by using their own birthdays as an example.
Click on the link to the Moon Phase Calendar.
Examine the pattern of the Moon for this month and answer the following questions in your science notebook.
- How would you describe what you see to someone who isn't looking at the calendar?
- Make a prediction and justify your thinking about how you think the Moon will look on the first day of next month?
- Change the calendar to show the month/year of your NEXT birthday. Draw and describe what you see.
- Change the calendar to show the month/year of the day you were born. Draw and describe how it is similar or different to the moon you'll see on your next birthday.
2 Direct Instruction
Teacher will use Nearpod to provide students with content information related to Moon phases.
Student will input Nearpod pin and wait for teacher instructions.
3 Guided Practice - Part 1
I've used this link: Moon Pops
Moon Pops are constructed out of 1-2 inch Styrofoam balls on wooden skewers. It's nice to have one Moon pop for every student. I also have found it helpful to have a larger sized Moon pop for myself to model the procedure.
This activity is successful with large or small groups. It is helpful to have a standing lamp with the shade removed in the center of the room with all windows darkened.
Students will follow the teacher's directions to model the various phases of the moon in the correct sequence.
4 Guided Practice - Part 2
Using any one of the website/apps listed, the teacher will direct the students to complete a 3-2-1 reflection from the Moon Pop activity
Students will collaborate to complete a 3-2-1 activity following the given prompts:
- 3 Observations from the Moon Pop activity
- 2 Connections of how this activity connects with what you already knew.
- 1 Question based on the Moon Pop activity
5 Independent Practice
If using the Google Drive option, access Google Draw.
Students will create an infographic that include illustrations/images of the moon phases along with details for each phase.
Create an infographic that details what you have learned about the phases of the moon. Your infographic should include illustrations or images along with brief details for each phase.