1 HOOK, DIRECT INSTRUCTION, GUIDED PRACTICE, INDEPENDENT PRACTICE
This lesson can be done independently or as a class.
- Access the Nearpod titled "Metaphorically Speaking".
To view it, click here: https://s.nearpod.com/j/BF132ABC81EF0AD6940B0AF5F149DB83-1 .
To download the presentation to your Nearpod library, click here: https://np1.nearpod.com/sharePresentation.php?code=d96190c2f8a58278f6975...
I hope you enjoy it!
- Watch the interactive video created with Zaption.
- Students can independently answer the questions or the class can move through as a teacher-led lesson.
- Discuss and define metaphors and similes using the slides on the Nearpod.
- Watch Michale Buble "Everything" music video with lyrics.
- Student will underline and circle evidence of similes and metaphors.
- Complete poll to check for understanding.
- Move on to the visual metaphors with the slide of Vladimir Kush's African Sonata.
- Allow students to contemplate the meaning and metaphorical relationships in this work.
- Review and practice with another piece of writing, music and artwork.
- Finally, students can listen to Carnival of the Animals. This composition is a represent of many different animals. The Zaption is about 30 minutes, but it allows the teacher to choose how many the students engage in.
- For discussion purposes, we have listed the "intended" metaphors. However students will have many different interpretations.
The animals represented in each movement are:
Hens and Cockerals
Person with Long Ears
2 WRAP UP
Wrap up with a fun game of Kahoot!