Love for Reading
1 Hook/Attention Getter
- Tell students to go to Google Classroom and open the Reading Log Document.
- Tell students to create a copy of the document and share it with you.
- Click on "File" tab click "create a copy"
- Click "Share" in the top right hand corner and type in my email (write email on the board)
- Then tell students that they will be reading a choice book at home for 20 minutes each day as a homework assignment.
- Tell students they must tack their reading in this document, citing the date, pages read, and writing a comment/summary/questions/etc.
2 DIRECT INSTRUCTION
Model for students how to create a copy of the document and share it with you by projecting your computer screen on the classroom LCD screen/projector
Click on "File" tab click "create a copy"
Click "Share" in the top right hand corner and type in my email (write email on the board)
Have students follow along on their own computers or chromebooks
Next, tell students they are going to start their search for an independent reading novel by using LitPicks or Google books. Model how to use these two websites as students follow along on their own computers or chromebooks
3 GUIDED PRACTICE :
4 GUIDED PRACTICE :
- Once students have selected a novel have them read for 20 minutes in class and fill in the Reading Log.
- Explain that they will be doing this at home and that you walk around the classroom and make sure they understand what is going to be expected of them at home.
Remind students of the expectations and check to see that each student make a copy of the Reading Log and shared the document with you on Google Drive.