Instrument Families of the Orchestra
1 What do they have in common?
Present a slideshow with 4 pictures of different families, including famous people, animals, cartoon characters, and musical instruments.
Connection to prior knowledge: When students identify what all pictures have in common( families) and what are the differences within each family members, ask them if they knew that music instruments also belong to different instrumental families?
Watch the pictures and tell what these pictures have in common and describe the differences between family members.
2 Lets' Watch
Invite students to watch Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.
While we watch teh video, ask students if they recognize any of the instruments and name them.
- Watch a video of Benjamin Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.
- Choose one instruments family as your favorite, after watching the video.
- While the video is playing, raise your hand to answer these questions:
- Do you recognize any of the instruments?
- Can you name the instrument you recognized?
3 Let's explore
Having students to access http://www.sfskids.org/ will allow them to see the instruments pictures and listen to how they sound, plus there is a concise description of how they produce sound.
- Go to http://www.sfskids.org/
- Click on Discover
- Click on Sea of Knowledge
- Click on Instruments> Instrument Families
- Read and listen to music examples about the Instruments Family that you chose as your favorite, when we watched the video.
4 Introduce your family
Students will use Office Sway to create a presentation about an instrument family of their choice, then they will submit their presentations' link to their online assignment on Canvas (LMS)
Provide students with a Sway Presentation Rubric
Choose the 4 Sway presentations( 1 per Instruments family) that meet the rubric criteria and ask student sto present it to their classmates.
- Login to Office365. browardschools.com
- Click on the Sway app
- Create a Sway presentation to introduce the Instrument Family of your preference.
- You Sway must include
- Name of the instruments family
- Why did you choose this instrument family?
- A description of no less than 4 instruments from this family:
- What material are these instruments made of?
- How the instruments produce sound?
- Name music that was composed for the instruments included in this family.
- Use Pictures, videos or video links , and audio files to support your information.
4. Once you complete your presentation:
- Click on Share button, at the top right of the page
- Copy the link.
- Log in to Canvas
- Find Instrument Families assignment
- Click "Submit Assignment" and paste the link to submit your Sway presentation.
submit it to the Canvas assignment page.