Illegal Immigration to the United States
1 Grade 8
Warming up Activity:
- Students were asked to use ProCon.org to read two graphs about illegal immigration to the United States and use notecards to take notices of the major and hooking ideas addressed in the graphs. This activity took about 5 minutes.
- When they finish their note taking activity, students were asked to share information with their peers to enrich their background knowledge about the topic. This activity took about 5 minutes.
ProCon.org is an excellent website as it helped my students derive clear, well detailed and organized information about illegal immigration to the USA. It is also a good opportunity to me as it made my interaction with my students boost to a higher level.
The While Activity:
- Students were asked to use News360 to select from official reports and news the major causes of illegal immigration to the US.
- They also were asked to find out about the major effects ( threats or benefits) of illegal immigration on the social and economic sectors in the USA.
This activity took about 8 minutes.
- Students were instructed to take notes and share information with their peers to deepen understanding and edit their notecards. This activity took about 5 minutes.
News360 is an excellent learning tool as it provides my students with up-to-news and official information.
- Students were asked to work in groups of four. Each group has to think of one plan or measure to reduce illegal immigration to US. The plan has to be feasible and clear. This activity took about 7 minutes.
- After they finished the plans, students used Edmodo to upload their plans and share feedback. This activity took about 5 minutes.
- Students were asked to vote for the most feasible and clearest plan among the various plans suggested. This activity took about 2 minutes.
- I asked my students to use Quizizz to sit for a short assessment to check my students’ assimilation to the causes and effects of illegal immigration to the USA. This activity took about 5 minutes.
Quizizz is a good tool as it helped me as a teacher to check my students’ results and take actions.