Hollywood Goes to War
Introduction. Students will create a timeline that includes the following criteria. The purpose of the timeline is to build upon prior knowledge of important WWII events, in order to make a connection to the cinematic and tangible contributions to the war-effort by 1940s Hollywood. Students will be able to add to this timeline as they learn more about Hollywood's contribution to the war effort.
- Important Events of WWII (8)
- Title, Date & Description (1 sentence)
- Pre/Patriotic/Post War Films (10)
- Title, Date & Genre
- Include IMDB.com or poster link for extended assignment
2 Direct Instruction
Content Instruction. Students will develop a working knowledge of content by taking teacher-guided and individual-created notes from a variety of multi-media resources.
- Warner at War, 2008 (Special Feature)
- Cinema Combat: Hollywood Goes to War,1998 (Special Feature)
3 Guided Practice
Guided Practice. Students will use Schoology to access a guided reading assignment that tiers questions based on information attained in the reading assignments.
- WWII Guide: Wartime Hollywood (http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/teachers/modules/ww2/wartimehollywood.html)
- Hollywood During the War Years (http://www.filmsite.org/40sintro.html)
4 Independent Practice
Summative Assessment. Each student will create a padlet board that includes the following criteria and will share via Schoology.
- Vocabulary Posts (4)
- A description of each film genre
- A pictorial example (such as a movie poster or visual representation) of each film genre
- Appropriate contextual use of the vocabulary term (in your own words sentence)
- Informational Posts (5)
- Explanation of Hollywood's war-time contribution
- Pictures (3)
- Photos(s) must represent a moment of Hollywood's war-time contribution
- Links (2)
- Link to an article or other resource (interactive media, audio, etc.) for further investigation
Summarize Learning. In collaborative groups, students will create a Wordle based upon the main ideas learned about the many contributions of Hollywood to the war-effort AND how Hollywood's relationship changed with the US government from 1939 to 1945.
- Collins Writing (Type 3)
- Writing Prompt. Summarize the greatest or most important contributions Hollywood made to the war-effort (1941 - 1945), while describing how these contributions to the government was a fundamental shift from typical relations in 1939.
- FCAs. Focused Correction Areas
- Provides at least five (5) war-effort contributions by Hollywood and provides at least three (3) corresponding specific examples
- Describes Hollywood's relationship with the US Gov't 1939-1941 and how the relationship changed after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
- A minimum of 20 sentences.