Government: The Roles of the President of the United States
1 Warm-up/Hook/Attention Getter: What do you think are the roles of the President? Create a to do list.
1. Start your Padlet Interactive Tool
2. Ask students to brainstorm their ideas on what they think the President has to do as apart of their job.
3. Students can give their answers on the Padlet tool.
4. Call on students to share their responses orally in class.
5. Review the list with the students
6. Check their responses against list of roles of the President
6. Save a copy of the slide with the students’ ideas if you are using an interactive whiteboard
Answer the following question on the Padlet app of the iPad:
What does the president do? Create a to-do list for the president. Try to think of as many things as possible.
2 Direct Instruction: The President's Rule Book/All in a Day's Work
- Refer to the U.S. Constitution Article II using the Powerpoint presentation
- The teacher will help the students to identify the roles of the President as detailed in the U.S. Constitution article II excerpt using the Powerpoint Presentation
- Read along on power point presentation of the U.S. Constitution Article II
- Students can read aloud sections of the reading to practice their skill.
- Take note important parts of the reading for easy reference later on.
3 Guided Practice: Let's Focus on the U.S. Constitution Article II Section 1-3
- Distribute the graphic organizer to the class.
- Students will complete a graphic organizer on the roles of the president from the reading and from the U.S. Constitution Article II, teacher power point presentation from iCivics and from the Youtube video presented
- Use the Quizlet App Tool so students can practice before the Kahoot Class Contest
1. Complete/Fill-In the graphic organizer on the roles of the President from your sources (U.S. Constitution Article II, teacher-directed iCivics power point presentation and the YouTube video presented on the Roles of the President)
2. Play along on the Quizlet app tool with the class to see how much you know before we take the Kahoot Class Contest
4 Independent Practice: Let's Find out what we know about the Roles of the President
- Start Kahoot with class: The Roles of the President
2. Facilitate the students in playing the game on iCivics.com www.icivics.org/games/executive-command
- Play along in Kahoot with class and teacher by entering the user code
- Play the game www.icivics.org/games/executive-command
5 Wrap-Up/Time to Go: Let's see how much we have learned
Let us end the class by asking students to compare the responsibility they thought of at the beginning of class to the responsibilities they learned about in the lesson.
Have students look at the Padlet Roles of the President that we compiled in the beginning of class
On another Padlet, have students write down the responsibility they thought of and the presidential power that most closely matches it.
On the Padlet App, submit your response:
From one of the jobs that you submitted in the beginning of class, what is the presidential power that closely matched your answer.
Something to think about: Do you think our current president has been accomplishing any of these roles and how? Explain your response. Give Examples. Do you think we are bias when we are discussing the current president?