Fables and Folk Tales
This lesson was a co-teach project between myself and one of our 3rd grade teachers. We had the students read, research, and create an original Fable or Folk Tale. We used Schoology.com to implement a blended classroom while conducting the unit.
- The teacher will ask the students what they know about Fables and Folk Tales to get a baseline on what the students already know.
- The students will discuss with the teacher what they already know about what a Fable is compared to a Folk Tale.
2 Direct Instruction
- The teacher will need to create a teacher account in order to add the students to class account. Once the teacher creates their account they can have the students use the class access code to be added to the class.
- The teacher will have the students log into their computers, open a web browser, and type schoology.com into the url bar.
- Once all students have enrted the access code the the teacher will ask them to log out and log back in again for extra practice.
- Finally the teacher will review how to access folders, tools and activities with the students as a group.
- The students will log into their computers, open a web browser, and type Schoology.com into the url bar.
- Once at the site they will click on the sign up button.
- Next they will click on the student button, which will prompt them to enter the access code for the class's Schoology page.
- After the students enter in the access code, they will need to create their log in information. (To make things easy, I had the students use the same login information that they would use to get into their computers at school.)
- The students will then need to log out of the Schoology page and practice logging back in.
- The students will follow along with the teacher as they review how to use the functions of the website.
3 Guided Practice
- The Teacher will need to create a folder on the class Schoology page that will provide web resources to the students reagrding fables vs folktales.
- The teacher will show the students how to access the resources folder and use the links provided within to research fables and folktales.
- The teacher will assign a discussion between the students to share with each other what information they have found about fables and folk tales.
- The students will log into the Schoology class page and follow along with the teacher on how to access the resource folder that the teacher has created in the materials tab.
- The students will then use the websites the teacher has provided to research the different examples of fables and folk tales.
- Once the students have researched information and examples of fables and folk tales, they will then have to write about what they have found in a discussion post.
4 Independant Practice
- The teacher will need to create a word document ahead of time and add it to the resources folder. this word document will allow the students to answer the questions on the document and submit it via the Schoolgy drop box.
- The document will be a Venn diagram that the students will use to compare and contrast 1 fable and 1 folk tale.
- The students will access the uploaded word document that was created by the teacher.
- The document is of a Venn diagram that the students will use to compare and contrast examples of 1 fable and 1 folktale.
- Once the students have completed the diagram, they will submit their assignemnt via the Schoology drop box.
5 Independant Practice
- The teacher will assign two reader theater stories for the students to read.
- The teacher can also scan and upload these documents to the Schoology page for reference outside of school.
- The students will read one fable and one folk tale from the reader's theater collection.
- The teacher will create an online quiz using the information from the stories that the students read in reader's theater.
- The students will access the Schoology website and take the quiz that was created by the teacher using the information in the reader's theater stories and posted to the class page.
- The teacher will need to create accounts for their students in pixton and storybird.
- The students will use the information that they have learned to create an original fable or folktale.
- Thes students will illustrate their story by using either Pixton or Storybird.
- They will share their stories with the class when completed.