Elements of Culture
1. WHAT IS CULTURE?
2. WHY ARE THERE MANY CULTURES IN THE UNITED STATES?
3. WHAT ARE SOME FAMILY TRADITIONS?
4. WHY IS IT GOOD FOR OUR COUNTRY TO HAVE MANY CULTURES?
DRAW A PICTURE: THERE ARE MANY TRADITIONS. THINK OF A TRADITION YOU KNOW, THEN DRAW A PICTURE OF IT. WRITE 3 SENTENCES ABOUT IT.
Students pair share
The History of the United States and New York.
Students read about US History and New York.
Mini lesson: Read a story about culture, tradition/immigration
Retell stories by asking core questions
What is culture?
How do we use things in culture that can compare to other cultures?
How are families different?
Who are some important Americans?15-20 minutes
Students view video Immigrant Overhaul.
Think pair share with partners.
Develop students word knowledge by matching meanings.
Students will place words in a chart to identify what they know.
Students draw pictures and write about a culture.
MATCH EACH WORD TO ITS MEANING.
IMMIGRANT LANGUAGE CULTURE
1. A SPECIAL WAY TO DO THINGS THAT IS PASSED FROM OLDER PEOPLE TO CHILDREN
2. A GROUP’S WAY OF LIFE
3. SOMEONE WHO COMES TO LIVE IN A NEW COUNTRY
4. A PERSON WHO USES TOOLS TO LEARN ABOUT THE WORLD
5. WORDS THAT PEOPLE SPEAK AND WRITE
For homework place each word in the chart check the words you know then write a definition and check it in the dictionary.
CULTURE CUSTOM DIVERSITY
TRADITION IMMIGRANT INVENTION
|I Know||Sounds Familiar||I Don't Know|
Put checks in the boxes of the words you know, then use a dictionary to learn what the words means.