Creating Scale Models
1 Use OneNote for collaborative planning
Guide students in measuring their own objects or finding drawings of objects/buildings with the measurements on them.
- collaborate in a OneNote page to store sketches of object with measurements on it
2 Create Scale Model
Help students choose the best way to create their scale model:
- 3D model in Minecraft EDU
- 3D design (for printing if you have access to 3D printer)
- Physical resources: lego, kinnex, paper, cardboard, etc.
Students use their sketches with measurements and method of making a 3D model (Minecraft EDU, TinkerCAD or physical model) to decide on a scale factor. Once they determine their scale factor, they create the model using chosen method.
3 Explain student thinking
Students should use a digital tool to record their thinking and show off their model. They can use tools such as Educreations, Explain Everything or a simple phone with video recording.
Choose a method to record and explain your thinking (Educreations, Explain Everything or video recording).
- explain your scale factor
- show images, video of your scale model
- explain how you calculated at least 2 of your dimenions. Show the ratio you set up and how you determined the unknown.