Create Your Own Digital Archive
1 Building Backgorund
1. Direct students to a variety of Digital Archives
2. Students should record the different types of documents and artifacts that they see on digital archives and how they build the story
3. Tell students that they will be creating documents and artifacts to show what they have learned via research. Their digital archive will tell a story of a character that is fictional. The accounting should be historically accurate, but they get to design everything about the character's personality and storyline as would realistically be created within the time frame. Time period should be selected based on class text (WWII if reading "Diary of a Young Girl" or Jim Crow Era if reading "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" or Elizabethan England if reading a Shakespeare play)
4. Begin a process of helping students create characters. Students can create and submit Trading Cards
5. Using the research strategy of your choice (Big 5 or other), use electronic and/or print resources
6. Students collect notes and make sure to create a bibliography
3 Begin Blogging
7. Students create historically accurate blog posts as if they are diary entries.
8. Students add pictures that are altered to look historical
9. Students create a newspaper from the time period using research as well
10. Students can create hyperlinks when using historically accurate details from research that link to the bibliography and the specific sources.