Chapter Book Chapter Review
1 HOOK/ATTENTION GETTER:
- Have the class get into groups of 3.
- Ask them to type the main events that happened in the previous chapters of the novel you are reading in a shared Google Document (with the group and the teacher)
- Document Here:
- Do the same with character traits.
- Have the groups make predictions of what will happen in the next chapter.
2 DIRECT INSTRUCTION:
- Play Kahoot with questions from the previous chapters. Keep in mind that you can just make ch 1 Kahoot, then save it again and add Ch 2 questions, save it, then add Ch 3 and so on. Use the currently read chapters to play a game to review what they already know of the story. These could be things they brought up in previous review sessions.
- After each question done (time is up) and scoreboard is displayed, review that question as a class to make sure everyone understands the concept.
3 GUIDED PRACTICE:
- Discuss what each group thinks will happen in the upcoming chapter.
- Have each group share their predictions.
- Discuss which ones seem most likely and why.
4 INDEPENDENT PRACTICE:
- Have each student read the next chapter.
- Make sure to stress the importance of past events and thinking of character traits that may be changing or developing.
- Have them think which prediction was closest.
This is Formative assessment time. This can be done with different tools.A short “quiz” to assess understanding can be made in:
Other formative assessment tool.
- Make sure each student takes this assessment. How the teacher uses it can vary.
- Make sure that the students can see how they did when the assessment is over so they know what they might have missed.
- Mix Formative with Summative assessments. Make sure students know when the quiz will count towards their grade, and when it is just for the teacher.