Bully vs. Bystander
Teaching the importance of standing up against cyber bullying through the form of compare and contrast writing.
Activity: Other — Video Clip
- As a class we will watch the clip "Emma's Story" from Common Sense Media. Students will take notes about people and events from the clip. https://www.commonsensemedia.org/videos/emmas-story-cyberbullied-by-a-best-friend
- When the clip concludes we will discuss the roles of the different people within Emma's life and the events that took place. (This will introduce the idea of the "bully" and "bystander")
- I will ask students what actions they think should have taken place and their overall thoughts of the topic.
- Sample questions:
- What actions should have been taken in this scenario?
- What could the bystanders have done differently?
- Have you or a friend ever experieced something similar?
- Sample questions:
2 Direct Instruction
- I will assign students either the position of the bully or bystander, and students will create a cloud using this website that uses adjectives to describe their given position.
- Students will pick their own shape and decide on appropriate adjective.
- Students will share their clouds with the rest of class therefore giving students multiple perspectives on these two roles.
3 Guided Practice
- Students will use notes from watching the video, class discussion and their word cloud creations to complete a Venn Diagram that compares and contrasts the postition of a bully to the position of a bystander in a cyberbullying setting (I will also having examples of word clouds posted around the room to prompt ideas as well)
- .After students have completed their diagrams independently they will share their ideas with a partner to see if as a team they can come up with any additional thoughts.
4 Independent Practice
- Students will use all materials up to this point to write a 7-8 sentence paragraph comaring and contrasting the role of a bully to the role of a bystander in a cyberbullying scenario.
- Following this paragraph students will also write a 5-7 sentence paragraph describing how a person can transform their role as a bystander into the role of being an upstanding citizen. (Orally revisit the discussion from the prior lesson)
Make Beliefs Comix
- After completing their two paragraphs students will create a scenario (similar to the hook clip) that displays the CORRECT way to handle cyberbullying as an upstanding citizen.
- Students will have time to work on this during class, but they will also be advised to work on this at home.