Brunelleschi: Architect of the Renaissance
Inquiry-Based Learning Scenario
The year is 1418. You have been given the task of building the world's largest dome. The dome will put the finishing touches on the Cathedral of Santa Maria in Florence, Italy.
Student Warmup Questions
1) How would you prepare for this challenge?
After students have written down their answers, discuss the following options:
- Build Scale Models or Replicas
- Research Examples and Diagrams
- Talk to Master Craftsmen & Guild Members
2) What type of training do architects and engineers need to build structures today?
- If possible, you may want to arrange an interview with an engineer or architecture expert via Google Hangouts
3) What information would you want to know before you begin this building project?
- A local newspaper article about a current building project in your community may provide many good details for discussion, such as cost, materials, location, time frame, purpose, etc.
"How an Amateur Build the World's Biggest Dome"
- Have students write a 1 paragraph reflection on Google Docs. You can choose to have them focus on the biggest surprise, most important takeaway, etc. from the video.
2 Direct Instruction
3 Guided Practice
Assign students to work with a partner.
Each group will be assigned three paragraphs from the National Geographic article, "Brunelleschi's Dome."
Use the StudyBlue app to create vocabulary flashcards of key terms and facts from your group's paragraphs.
4 Independent Practice
Option 1: TimeToast
Students will create a Brunelleschi biography timeline. They should include at least 6 key facts about his life.
Option 2: ThingLink
Students will use Thinglink to create an interactive image of the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore (Brunelleschi's dome). They should include at least 6 key facts about its design, construction methods, or unique features.
Group presentations on Independent Practice projects (TimeToast or ThingLink)
Option 1: HaikuDeck
Create a HaikuDeck of the artwork found in the Baptistry of San Giovanni.
It is the oldest church in Florence, located directly across the square from the Cathedral dome built by Brunelleschi.
Option 2: Google Play
Play the game Brunelleschi: Age of Architects on Google Play or at http://brunegame.com/
Create a one-page strategy guide for new players.
Key Standards Supported
Reading History/Social Studies
|RH.6-8: Craft and Structure|
|RH.6-8.4||Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary specific to domains related to history/social studies.|
|Integration of Knowledge and Ideas|
|RH.6-8.7||Integrate visual information (e.g., in charts, graphs, photographs, videos, or maps) with other information in print and digital texts.|
|Key Ideas and Details|
|RH.6-8.2||Determine the central ideas or information of a primary or secondary source; provide an accurate summary of the source distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.|