Au magasin (At the store)
1 Step 1 : Hook
1- Ask students to browse Les galeries de la capitale's website : https://www.galeriesdelacapitale.com/fr/. Tell them that they will spend a few hours at this mall on the field trip to Quebec City.
2- Ask students to name a few stores where they would like to shop and a few things they would like to buy.
2 Step 2 : Direct Instruction - Part 1
1- Teach key phrases related to shopping:
2- Ask students to take notes in their individual mini phrase book (they will be carrying their phrase book with them on the trip to Quebec City).
3 Step 2 : Direct Instruction - Part 2
Have students play Kahoot to memorize the shopping related words and phrases they learned.
4 Step 3 : Guided Practice
5 Step 4 : Independant Practice
1- Ask students to write a conversation between a customer and a salesperson. The dialogue should be written in complete French sentences and follow this outline :
2. Model how to use the app My Talking Avatar (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-talking-avatar/id906080826?mt=8) using the following instruction sheet : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9-HyymSgdtvaFdPdVRiYm9ubzg/view?usp=sharing
3. Ask students to record their dialogue using My Talking Avatar.
4. Assess the dialogues using the following rubric:
6 Step 5 : Wrap-up
1- Ask students to think back to back to the question asked in Step 1 - The Hook (Name a few stores where you would like to shop and a few things you would like to buy).
2- Ask students to answer the following questions orally:
- What will you say to the salesperson when you enter a store?
- What questions are you likely to ask/ be asked?
- What will you say/do if you do not understand?
- What will you say when you leave the store?