1 Direct Instruction
- Display the poem, "Proem" by Oliver Herford. Read over the poem with the students in a small direct instruction group.
- Discuss any unknown vocabulary using context clues.
- Poll the class for their response to each multiple choice question. Discuss the reasons why each is wrong. Have students partner up to discuss why the correct answer is right.
- Read the Type II Short Answer question and have students respond via Schoology and submit into the dropbox.
- Have students open "The Dawn's Awake" PDF in the app Type On PDF Free or provide students with a paper copy.
- Guide students through answering the 7 questions after reading the poem together.
- Demonstrate to students how to highlight important words in the questions to help them identify what they need to answer
- Answer the questions together, providing prompts on what needs to be included such as quotation marks when quoting lines from the poem for examples.
- Have them submit in Schoology when finished.
- Click on the link for #"Proem" by Oliver Herford.
- Highlight any unknown vocabulary. Try to use context clues to determine the meaning of it.
- Raise your hand as the teacher goes over the questions from the PowerPoint as the teacher polls the class for their response.
- Answer the Type II short answer question in Schoology and submit it into the Drop Box for Type II: Short Answer Dropbox.
- Open "The Dawn's Awake" in Type On PDF Free.
- Answer the questions with the small group.
- Submit in Schoology when finished.
Have students create their own Found Poetry with a partner using "The Untitled Story".
Download and read the attached file.
Complete the assignment with your partner and submit it here when finished.
- Have students create a set of quizlet cards for the assigned vocabulary words.
- Have students then practice their vocabulary on SpellingCity by assigning various activities.
- After students have completed "The Dawn's Awake" in the direct instruction station, assign them to answer the questions about the poem, "Sketch" and submit to the dropbox in Schoology.
- Create a set of quizlet vocabulary cards with the assigned words in Schoology.
- Then go to the SpellingCity App and complete the assignment for Poetry Vocabulary.
- After completing "The Dawn's Awake" in the Direct Instruction station, answer the questions about the poem, "Sketch" and submit to the dropbox in Schoology.
Key Standards Supported
|RL.5: Key Ideas and Details|
|RL.5.3||Compare and contrast two or more characters, settings, or events in a story or drama, drawing on specific details in the text (e.g., how characters interact).|